Teck Reports 2021 Sustainability Performance
Teck Resources Limited announced today the release of our 21st annual Sustainability Report, highlighting our sustainability and ESG performance in 2021 and progress on our sustainability strategy goals.
“Our focus at Teck is on responsibly providing the essential resources needed to improve the global standard of living while caring for people, communities and the environment,” said Don Lindsay, President and CEO. “Our annual Sustainability Report outlines our ESG performance for the year and the progress we’ve made towards achieving the goals of our sustainability strategy.”
Teck’s approach to responsible mining is underpinned by a long-term sustainability strategy, which sets out goals in the areas of Health and Safety, Climate Change, Responsible Production, Our People, Water, Tailings Management, Communities and Indigenous Peoples, and Biodiversity and Reclamation. This includes our recently expanded net-zero climate strategy, which builds on our existing commitment to achieve net-zero emissions across operations by 2050. Under the expanded strategy, we have set a goal to achieve net-zero Scope 2 (purchased electricity) greenhouse gas emissions by 2025 and announced an ambition to achieve net-zero Scope 3 (value chain) emissions by 2050.
“Teck is already one of the world’s lowest carbon-intensity producers of copper, zinc and steelmaking coal, and we are taking significant action to support a cleaner future and further reduce our carbon through our expanded climate strategy,” said Marcia Smith, Senior Vice President, Sustainability and External Affairs.
2021 Sustainability achievements included:
– Reduced High-Potential Incident Frequency by 38% from the previous year and Lost-Time Disabling Injury Frequency by 11%
– Increased the number of women in senior management to 29% in 2021 from 20% in 2020, with women now comprising 21% of our total workforce (up from 12% in 2011)
– Sourced 96% of all electricity requirements from renewable, zero-carbon power sources
– Decreased the carbon intensity of operations by 5%, in line with our goal to reduce our carbon intensity by 33% by 2030
– Advanced our climate goals, including announcing a zero-emissions haul truck partnership and an agreement to use energy-efficient eco-bulk carriers to ship a portion of our steelmaking coal, which could reduce up to 45,000 tonnes of CO2 per year, equivalent to removing nearly 10,000 passenger vehicles from the road
– Set an annual record for reclamation progress in the B.C. Elk Valley, with over 800 hectares of former mining lands revegetated
– Significantly advanced the Elk Valley Water Quality Plan in B.C. with the completion of two major projects – the Elkview Saturated Rock Fill expansion and the Fording River South Active Water Treatment Facility. In 2022, we expect to achieve one of the primary goals of the Elk Valley Water Quality Plan of stabilizing and reversing the selenium trend
– Advanced construction of a seawater desalination plant at our QB2 copper project in Chile to avoid the use of fresh water in this water-scarce region
– Invested $23.9 million in local, regional, national and global programs supporting positive social, economic and environmental outcomes in the areas where we operate
Teck’s 2021 Sustainability Report and Annual Report are available on their website. Other reports available from Teck including our Economic Contribution Report and the TCFD-aligned Climate Change Outlook 2021 report, are also available on the Disclosure Portal.
In 2021, Teck was named to the S&P Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the 12th consecutive year and ranked #1 in the Metals and Mining industry category on the DJSI for 2021. Teck received an AA rating from MSCI in 2021 and has been a constituent of the MSCI World Leaders ESG index since 2015. Teck is ranked first among North America Metals and Mining companies by Moody’s ESG, rated Prime by ISS ESG and ranked #2 in the Diversified Metals industry by Sustainalytics.